Together adults work with other adults in safe and supportive settings to develop literacy skills and strategies that will help them achieve their goals. Our programs offer meaningful and relevant activities to connect learning to real life – work, family, community – in fun and practical ways.
Together, adults and children learn new skills, gain confidence and have fun! Our programs provide families with the opportunity to reach their literacy goals together in a safe and supportive group. Our programs build on their everyday family practices and provide them with new and engaging ways to include literacy activities in their routine.
Family and Adult Programs are being offered both online and in-person. Please visit the link below for more information about programs and registration.
- Register for programs by clicking on the registration link.
- The Centre for Family Literacy offers fall, winter and spring sessions. To find out the exact start and end dates, and for more information about the programs, visit the registration website HERE.
- Registration is to be completed by the primary caregiver of the child(ren).
Age groups are listed under each program on the schedule below.
Family Book Club and 321 FUN! Book kits can be picked up by contacting the staff member listed in your confirmation email.
- We ask that each family register for no more than 4 Family programs per session.
- You can add yourself to unlimited waitlists if programs are full.
- You will receive an email that your registration was received within 2-3 hours after you register
- Once your registration is approved you will receive a confirmation email, including a Zoom link for online programs and location information for in-person programs
- If you don’t receive your confirmation email one week before the program begins, please:
- Check your junk mail or spam folder
- Search your email for firstname.lastname@example.org
- Add email@example.com to your contacts
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online Family Programs are 30 – 45 minutes in length and run for 10 weeks (unless otherwise noted)
- In-Person Family Programs are 60 – 90 minutes in length and run for 10 weeks (unless otherwise noted)
- Adult Group Programs are 1.5 hours in length and run for 10 weeks (unless otherwise noted)
- Adult Tutor Program meets with a tutor once a week, for about one hour
Click here to view the system requirements for your device to use Zoom
Yes, drop-ins are welcome to in-person programs until a program is full. Come check it out and register on site!
Would you like to help your child with their homework? Are you having trouble writing emails? Maybe you want to get your G.E.D. one day but you don’t know where to start. If you want to improve your reading, writing, or basic math, or basic digital skills to help yourself AND your family, we can help!
Register to work one-on-one with a tutor today!
Tutor Teams – Ages 18+
Our literacy tutor teams are 2-3 learners paired with a volunteer tutor. Teams will meet once a week to work on skills needed to pursue upgrading (such as G.E.D.). You will receive a workbook containing stories, newspaper articles, charts and graphs, with topics relevant to adults such as voting, work life, health, and government. This is a great chance to practice your reading comprehension, writing, and critical thinking skills.
This is open to anybody who wants to improve their skills, but to use this resource learners should have a grade 6 and up reading level. If you would like to view a reading sample, click here. Aren’t sure what your reading level is? No problem! When you register for the tutor program, we will talk about your reading skills. If it turns out that this resource isn’t for you, we can match you with a tutor to work on your reading skills one-on-one!
Math Teams – Ages 18+
A Math Team may be right for you if: you learn better in a group; you are hoping to take the GED one day but have no idea where to start; if you’re a parent who wants to keep up with your child’s math learning; or if you have a general interest in improving your math skills.
Topics covered may include: counting, math vocabulary, operations with whole numbers, fractions, decimals, ratios and more. Learners will be placed in a “team” with similar math abilities, and will meet twice a week. Materials will be provided.
This is a great chance to brush up on your math skills while meeting new friends.
Register to work in a Math Team today.
Basic Digital Skills
Ages 18 +
This program will be in person.
This session we will be offering a variety of online workshops where you can learn new skills and gain confidence in using your computer. Browse the digital workshops below and see which topics work for you. Workshops are two hours long. Choose only the ones you want, or enroll in all five!
Recommended: If you do not have a Google (gmail) account or are unfamiliar with Google Apps, it is recommended that you take the Google Workspace workshop first, before enrolling in others.
September 20: Google Workspace
You can do a lot with a Google account from using Google Drive to create and share documents, spreadsheets, and presentations to using Google Maps to find your way around. In this workshop we will explore the basics of Google Workspace including drive, docs, slides, and sheets while strengthening basic digital skills like copy and paste, inserting images and videos, searching, and more.
October 4: Resumes and Coverletters
Learn how to create a resume, cover letter, and search job postings like a pro!
October 18: Create a Digital Cookbook
Participants will organize a digital cookbook in Google Slides with their favourite recipes and arrange them by category.
November 1: Make your own Family Tree
Create a family tree book that you can share with your family! Learn basic tips for researching your genealogy, create a graphic family tree with Canva, and include important details and family stories with Google Docs.
November 15: Online Safety
Do you know how to keep yourself protected from phishing scams, malware or online identity theft? Learn how to spot scams, spam and keep yourself safe online. See real life examples and learn practical strategies to keep you safe while using the internet.
Adult Book Club
Have you always wanted to read more? Do you want to learn new words and meet new people? Join our Adult Book Club! Each adult who registers will receive a FREE Kit including the book that you need to participate in the weekly program.